220310 waiting day dogs and children

Mar. 10

Rocky and I were out early this morning; the walk was easy, the snow a hard walkable crust. Creatures' paw prints are everywhere: rabbits, little mice and a very little set, vole, perhaps, and coyotes or bobcats. It feels like a "waiting day", with clouds, disorganized, straggling east on a slow wind, pale sunshine intermittent, and a storm from Texas forecast for the weekend. Rocky and I went along the west trail today because the going was easy, and came down through the old saw meadow. (There is an old rusted saw left there for eternity.)


Yesterday I saw the first vulture of the spring! It seems early: my calendar says first vulture seen April second and fifth on different years, in Toronto. The ridge stream is not to be stopped again, now that it is running free. It continues to collect melt as it travels between its snowbanks and it draws the sun's heat with its darkness, beneath the naked trees. 










These two trees grew up together and formed a pairing. Lesson for humans.


Rocky has been with me for five weeks now. It occurred to me only yesterday that there is no reason that he couldn't go off exploring with Blackie instead of coming with me, but he happily runs on before me rather than turning back and going up the trail after Blackie. He chooses me. *  Of course, I have bits of liver and milk bones in my pocket; Blackie doesn't! Rocky is seldom out of sight as we walk. I have taken to looking about before I call him; I can usually spot a movement among the trees and he is already on his way back to where I am. He is a perfect dog. My cousin and I often say, of something found that seems too good to be true: "cherchez le snag"! ** I wonder if Rocky will one day reveal his "snag", but the weeks go by and he continues to be good. He doesn't bite strangers, he doesn't try to eat the baby or get into the garbage, or growl, or bite when I examine his paw, unlike Fig, who, although he never tried to eat the babies, did try and bite me when I handled his paws, and growled fiercely when Blackie came around. In fact I have not yet heard Rocky growl! 

Fig was taught the word, "guard", as a signal that the person he was near was a baby, and he must not touch, growl, or bite it. All three dogs were taught this, using a teddy bear dressed in Indre's baby clothes that had her scent. It worked for Fig ever since, in many contexts: when trimming his nails, or examining his ears, and always with the children. As Indre, and later Robin, could sit up and interact with Fig, the word "guard" would stop him cold if he began to fret under their exploring hands. Of course, very importantly, I taught the children, from the beginning, to be gentle and respectful with the dogs; it has to go both ways. A dog shouldn't be forced to submit to hurtful behaviors from a child, any more than a child should be at risk of hurt from a dog. The dogs were allowed to, and did, walk away from unwanted handling. The children were never left alone with a dog until they were four or five years old. By then it was only Fig, and he could and would escape their clutches rather than harm them. They knew too, by then, how to treat him with care and respect. All children would be safer and would benefit from learning about dogs and pets generally, how to treat them, and how to optimize their own safety when interacting with an animal. There is good information on-line, and most dog owners are happy to participate in a "meet-and-greet", when you meet them on a walk. 

A dog is a good addition to a child's learning pallet, but there are several things to be mindful of, if considering adding a dog to the family. A dog is one more child to look after. You need to know that you can fit it into your life. You commit to his care for his whole life, many years. I decided, when I got our first, Betty, that although Rain, our youngest child, was nine, she was not old enough to be burdened with the care of a dog, so Betty was mine from the start, to feed, care for and train. The children had only to enjoy if they wished. 

Indre with our dogs:







   

*****

In keeping with our progress towards a "hundred-mile diet", I have been buying Quebec apples and cranberries for our fruit, and trying to find local fresh or Canadian canned vegetables. Yesterday I discovered Quebec greenhouse-grown cucumbers, which thrilled me no end. When it came to dinner time, however, I couldn't face the cold crunch of consuming them raw (not tonight, dear!), so I sautéed them in a bit of soy sauce (not Canadian) and maple syrup. They were not an epicure's delight, but palatable and nutritious, nonetheless.


*****

Today is a waiting day, then, and an at-home day. Rain has no appointments to be driven to, and I have no errands in town. I am not cooking today; there is lots of food prepared, and no pressing housework. I intend to potter about, work on some mosaics, do some more writing, go out often to see the day (it is already above zero), and enjoy Rocky's company. Maybe I will pick up the guitar - it's been a couple of weeks since I played. 

Here are perhaps some sources of the myth of a witch's broom: walking sticks, and an actual broom to sweep the snow from the flagstones at the door. 

Thanks for visiting! Keep well and safe. Our thoughts are with the people of Ukraine. I am sad and afraid. 

Mumma Yaga

* The Turtles, She'd Rather Be with Me, 1967  https://youtu.be/Fb5i6UgGKo8 

** Not my "coin"; it has been in our family's lexicon for many years. I heard it once used on Law and Order: Criminal Intent. (TV show.)

*****

I have named this tree Indre's Tree: it crosses the ridge stream and makes for excellent climbing. I look forward to a day when she will visit and I can show her.

Comments