201110 US Election Books Covid





Pastel morning.

Nov. 10

The unfolding of the presidential election has become a theatrical event to compete with any of Shakespeare's mad and desperate Kings. Trump is shut in his castle while his noblemen and family take sides, and the country watches in anger or fear, powerless, without horses or swords. If this was a movie it would not be believable. 

Joe Biden speaks confidently, offering a mature assurance of good and rational leadership, like a fresh wind blowing through a newly-opened window. It's a whole new universe if this transition can be accomplished without violence or bitterness. But there are many millions of Americans who wanted Trump to be president for another four years, who, by supporting Trump, demonstrate small-minded selfish attitudes of racism and self-righteous conservative ideals. They are not a group likely to take rejection well, any more than Trump has or will. However at this morning's press conference Biden expressed no concerns about a Trump concession, as if there isn't any hurry: it will all come together by January 20. I have never seen a politician so at ease on a national stage. He owns it.

*****

Two months ago K and I were waking up in our chalet in Quebec: one month there and one month here. Feels like three months and three: covid slow-wave time again. Nothing is normal, there are uncertainties every day. I watch the children on the street playing together, forgetting to social-distance, pulling off their masks or not wearing one at all; some of them are attending school in person and certainly others in their households are going out in public for work or errands. It seems unsafe to let it go on with numbers of new cases climbing daily. Yesterday's new covid cases were over 1300, and as that number grows exponentially we have to once again bring in stricter protocols, which will unfortunately involve curtailing the kids' socializing.But the weather is so fine and the children crave the interaction with peers.  

I have also scaled back my own outings, narrowing my definition of need as once again the risk goes up. I have thought of going to Global Cheese again and to Vatra, a European shop locally owned, where K and I shopped weekly before the pandemic, but every stop I make increases the chance of contagion so without sufficient reason I don't go. I am sorry about Vatra, because he is so nice and it's a family business but we bought foods there which we just don't need. If you are looking for the best homemade perogies or fresh European breads and deli products do try Vatra. They do a lovely European-style cheesecake and hot takeaway meals, too. 

*****

I went through my books yesterday, shrinking my library by half. In proper Kondo* fashion I gathered together all my books from different shelves and gave a lot of thought to what I really want to keep. There are still more that I should cull. Tamar, my Kondo guru, says that I may have to do it again and that I will know when the task is complete. K thinks there may come a time when we will not have the internet or access to our digital resources and we will need real books again. (As happened in A Canticle for Leibewitz, or Nightfall, or Wyndham's novels.) But will the libraries maintain their collections, now that the digital age is here? Does anyone keep paper copies of anything any more?  So now I am rethinking some of my discards, but realistically I will re-read or share only books that I love. It is to be hoped that others will save their favorite books. 


Robin asked me what makes up a healthy lunch and prepared it for May. How fortunate he and Indre are to have such excellent play food. Even a pretend glass of milk.


Keep safe. Enjoy the magical weather. 


Mumma Yaga



*Marie Kondo, the life changing magic of tidying up, 2011.









Comments