240902 jungleweed

 August 28, 24

Last Saturday was the annual (except for the plague years) "Jungleweed". It is a gathering at Rain and Tal's farm to enjoy the flowering jungleweed. It also falls near Rain's birthday so that is added into the mix. K and I used to think it was a party to hack down the jungleweed, Jungleweed is, it seems, a (very?) local name. It is actually called giant knotweed or Japanese bamboo. It does have a lovely fragrance and there is an abundance of it growing behind and above the farmhouse. It is invasive and grows all along many of the back roads in the area. It grows to eight or ten feet, and with its bamboo stems and large leaves it does look very out of place in these Green Mountain hills. But the party is a delight. Dozens of interesting, eccentric folk show up with potluck offerings, while two or three barbecues supply various grilled meats and vegetables. 

Musicians gather under a large maple: all are welcome - there are banjos and violins and a bass, guitars and voices. An accordion player added a flute sound to some songs. Throughout the afternoon and early evening players and singers came and went but the music never stopped. Cell phones were propped here and there to provide lyrics. A wide variety of style and genre wove through. The magic of live music is in the "now"; it happens ephemeral as a breathe while every heart and note is in  the hearts and minds around the circle.

*****


Can you see the frog? Here he is.


I turned the picture upside down. I like the stone fish. 


A yellow-spotted salamander, and perhaps the smallest red-backed salamander I have seen.





We returned in time for some black raspberries. We have a small once-cultivated patch, and more grow wild all over the meadows..


Berries, the last of the blues, a couple of lady bugs and pears from our tree. I shook it to get the ripe ones down.

*****

Driven by the immense frustration being unable to do the innumerable tasks awaiting my attention I am at last doing something. I began by carrying some clean laundry to my room. Next, I did the next thing that came to mind. Not "do later", or do as part of a bigger job, later, but do it right now. I have managed to set several things to rights, mostly put an item in its place. Books to the "library", a bare utility shelf in the closet under the stairs, in which cables, boxes, and spare clothes, jackets, mostly  orange-coloured, wait to be needed. This morning I woke feeling very well, and thought I may as well continue in that vein, vane, vain (twice). And so it began. I have sorted most of my room. There are nine more spaces to sort and clean. Despite the fact that I cleaned houses, three floors, in three hours, several times a week I find it puzzling that I cannot keep my own home clean. Well, one step, one day at a time. All the tumbling thoughts will not advance a thing.

*****

It is now the 2nd of September and the fragile, tenuous (is that redundant?) new-found sprit, I will not yet call it strength, is still with me. It will get this out today, and will attempt, at least, to write more soon. 

Clouds sleep in the valley until the sun is up.


Mumma Yaga


Comments

  1. If I were a cloud, I would sleep in the valley. Happy Birthday Heather - let's make this a great year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment