230216 stuff

 Feb. 16

Sometimes Rocky gets me out before the sun is up and I am able to catch the sunrise. Lately the daylight is starting to peek in the window before I am out of bed - a reminder that we are turning to spring.

*****

I am doing a no-spending month. From time to time the larder gets full, with emergency canned goods and non-perishables, or with extra food bought on sale. About once a year, I declare a month of minimal spending, only buying milk and fresh vegetables as needed. Anything else we will do without until next month. This time I have extended the no-spending to include non-food purchases as well. We can do without almost anything for a few weeks. 

I am concerned about the level of consumerism in our culture. I have referred before to the book called Consumed, which talks about the economy-driving consumer culture that the big corporations contribute to, always advertising the myriad unnecessary things we are told we want and need. * Do we need to "perk up" our living spaces with new drapes, cushions and couch? Do we need this year's fashion, when sometimes we still have clothes that have come back into fashion after twenty years? I, myself, have been the worst shopaholic, tempted by everything, acquisitive in the extreme. In recent years I have sought to practice restraint, to appreciate a beautiful ornament or clothing item without having to own it, to recognize that I have what I need, that the things I already own are enough. In fact they are too numerous and have become a burden. So much that I do not need has already gone to Value Village, and there is more still to sort and discard. I feel bone-weary when I see stores full of stuff, aisles of it, so not necessary to life, to a person's well-being, while we are trying desperately to reduce the waste going to landfills, the pollution coming from the manufacture, packaging and transportation of all this stuff. 

Every Christmas, we, as a culture, buy each other more stuff. I loved Christmas: gift-giving and stocking stuffing were my favorite things. I did get a lot of gifts from second-hand sources, charity shops and garage sales. I loved finding those eclectic treasures that were perfect for this or that person, was happy when they were appreciated, and not at all heart-broken if they were not loved by the receiver. Now the weight of all those gifts is like a millstone. When we spent the Christmases of '20 and '21 in Quebec I had no stockings to fill and told the family that we would not exchange gifts. This year I said the same, although we were here in Toronto. I found other ways to enjoy the family time of the holidays that did not involve spending money. There was music, and games, and meals shared. There was walking and playing outside. The holiday tree and ornaments were from previous years that held lovely memories and nothing new was needed.

*****

It is spring. The robins are here; the cardinals have been singing love songs for weeks. Today I saw that the willows are yellow. They seem to turn yellow before the leaves come, but not in February!

Rocky, sunning himself on the porch. 


I was excited to see this real hawk, not a noise-making decoy. (See post of 230206.) So wild and beautiful a sight to see on an urban city street.


It was goodbye to our celebrity snowman last week. I was there when his head fell off. I will miss his smile and witty remarks. A thank you goes to our dear neighbours E&E for sharing him.




*****

In my basement spelunking, I uncovered  this treasure. A decade ago I found this beautiful Italian light fixture, second-hand, and was keeping it - for what? I don't have a room to put it in, and even if I did, I don't have the handyman skills to install it. Last week, I put it together and tested it. I was delighted to find that it actually still works, although the chain and the hardware should probably be replaced. Or, I could break it and mosaic a section of floor with it, or a backsplash. Oh dear: that involves more handyman stuff, but the mosaicking part; I know how to do that!




















*****
It is a challenge to put healthy whole-food meals on the table when one is not feeling in top form, but I have enjoyed a couple of successes this week. This is Thai eggplant, easy to prepare and delicious; I served it with fluffy quinoa. Quinoa is as versatile as rice and makes a good side dish, or a nice dessert or breakfast with some oat milk, maple syrup and raisins. I prepared some garlic cloves with maple syrup and some sweet potato scones as well. I air-fried the eggplant, but you can also bake it. I microwave the carrots and pepper, then stir-fry green chilies, add soy sauce, black pepper and maple syrup and toss in the cooked vegetables. You can bake almost any vegetable instead of boiling or steaming it. It brings out a different flavor and texture. You can spread three or four veg. on a cookie sheet, from carrots and potatoes to onions, broccoli, peppers and mushrooms. Root vegetables must be cut smaller or left longer, but rule-of-thumb is 400 degrees for twenty minutes for most things. It is an energy saver if you already have something in the oven. No oil or seasoning is necessary (I use parchment paper on the pan), but you can toss or baste with oil and season with salt, pepper, tajin, or any other favorite spice. 


I found these fancy-looking ramen noodles recently and went looking for a good recipe in which to use them. After checking out "soba", Japanese-style noodles, on two of my go-to recipe websites, Allrecipes and Loveandlemons, I concocted my own recipe with ingredients that I had on hand. The result was delicious and made enough for two meals. I will put the recipe below.




I have to mention that I cook for K and myself, not the larger family. I do not know if my recipes or food choices would fly with children. For so long it was what the kids would eat. It is a pleasure to cook for K. He eats whatever I serve and (usually, I think!) enjoys it. 

*****

I hope that you are well, and keeping safe. If you are suffering a little from winter blues, I empathize. I have an excuse to get out and walk that will not take no for an answer (dog). Otherwise I would likely be hibernating in my pajamas and a blanket until at least mid-March! 

Mumma Yaga

A cheddi-shaped leaf in the snow. It felt like a small reminder to keep the spiritual in my days. 




Benjamin R. Barker, Consumed, 2007

Soba Recipe

1 square of firm tofu, cubed - toss in soy sauce 2 T, maple syrup 2 T and shakes of pepper. Marinate 30 minutes. Bake on pan with parchment paper for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.

Shred one or two carrots. Thinly slice a sweet pepper - soften in microwave if desired. 

Kale - 2 cups, chopped and zapped, for some green. I am sure broccoli or spinach would also work. 

Prepare sauce:

2 T tahini

6 T soy sauce

3 T maple syrup

2 T apple cider vinegar (or any other)

1 t lime juice.

Mix well with a fork. 

Cook noodles, drain and rinse in cold water. Any noodle would do in this dish I think. 

Toss everything with sauce in a large bowl. Serve cold, garnish with nuts. 



Comments