221221 gingerbread and solstice

 Dec. 21

Gingerbread castle:






This year, for my traditional Christmas gingerbread, I decided to be brave and try a castle. I found a picture, on-line, of a castle which is not rectangular, and has many towers ( Eltz Castle, Germany ). I used it as inspiration. I made a paper pattern, using grid-lined paper, and remembered to mark the one that needed two opposing positions, so that the upper surface of each would face outwards. The other pieces were all reversible. I owe a big thank you to Indre for her suggestion of Toblerone ramparts. They really bring the castle to life with their regularity. The mini sugar cones and the large candy sticks are two ideas that I have had in mind for many years. I have been wanting to do a castle for ages!

There is a bear (animal cracker) sneaking along behind the castle, and on the other side, a mountain lion.




*****

Christmas brings out the child in us. Perhaps that is why I started making fairy tale gingerbreads. Here is Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Inside, there is a table with porridge bowls on it.



A favorite story was always The Three Billygoats Gruff, and the troll under the bridge. One year I tackled it and made hills of fruit cake, used "chocolate stones" for the riverbanks, designed a troll and three goats.




I made a rocking horse, two years running, because the first year it didn't work, and I wanted to have a second go. The second one came out quite nicely, so I was glad I had tried it again. (This IS the second one!)


*****

For many years I have celebrated the winter solstice. It appeals to our most basic human spirit. The heavens (our pagan naming!) defy our comprehension, and although we understand the science of the earth's orbit, I think that we are in over our heads, mere children, when it comes to grasping the notions. At some level, when the winter solstice is upon us, I want to snuggle down into that children's corner with a blanket and a stuffed bear, where one must "believe" in the return of the sun, while one's small-child mind is saying "What about tomorrow?" Will the sun come back? I want to light a candle, or a fire, and dance, in a ritual for return. It is a day for writing a poem, or a journal work; a day to gather together with others and marvel at the warmth of the sun, and the lesser copy, a candle flame. 

It is a good reason for a feast! Christmas, doubtless, was timed to give us this midwinter reason for joy, for remembering to love each other, because the darkness is here, and the time of hardship. 

In this vein of primal faith, it is interesting to me that I feel a need to have extra food put away, all the laundry done, the house tidier, and cleaner, for Christmas eve, as if there will be no "afterwards". It  happens every year, mundanely perhaps, because some stores will not be open. In the old days all the stores were closed at Christmas, for two, perhaps three days. In the old, old days, before I was alive (a long time ago!) there would have been cold and snow, and perhaps no outside communication, for months! There may be an ancestral memory to urge me to stockpile and be ready. I want to rest, not have anywhere to go, or anything to do, except keep warm and eat warm food. 

I wish you a happy holiday, and good health in the new year. Peace. Peace would be nice.

Mumma Yaga

This is the recipe book in which I found the recipe and instructions that I still use for my for my gingerbread creations. I bought it through La Lèche League Canada thirty-five years ago.



Comments