211223 days of december and covid

Dec. 23  Covid Day 653

 

These are the days of covid, and I realized that I have no idea what K and I would "normally" be doing at this time of the year. He is happy to be here, and I am, too. Only I wonder if I would have wanted to be together with the children and grandchildren, and my cousins at Christmas. I wonder if we'd be here at all if it weren't for covid. I can't imagine what non-covid would look like in 2021; the notion of something different is simply not there.

Now it is the days of Omicron, sounds like sci-fi, life imitating art.  I am almost as apprehensive as I was in March of 2020, when I had a bad feeling about pre-variant covid. We have stocked up as if for a siege and we won't need to go anywhere for a few weeks, except for K's vaccine booster. It has been snowing and I am happy to be "hibernating" for a little while, hiding out. I may be over-reacting, but then I thought the same 653 days ago. We will be fine here, warm and safe, while we see what happens in the world. Part of my concern is that I will not be getting a covid booster yet. I am a bit afraid of another bad reaction, so I am still tracking down more information before I take the leap. Until then I must keep my head down. I consider it fortuitous that the children began their holidays when they did. It was unnerving how fast Canada jumped on this variant. The stringent measures put in place so swiftly will help us see a better outcome, however things turn. 


We are still seeing Rain. It's nice for her to get away from the housework at the farm, and rest, have some tea and enjoy the baby. I love to see her and the baby, too. Rain has taken to motherhood as if she's done it before, maybe in a former life. The baby is happy and healthy, growing like a weed. I am feeling so much better, that I aspired to some Christmas baking, and Rain fell right into the activity, having wanted to do something herself. On our first day we made a batch of penuche, which for six decades we have all called Dad's fudge, because my father made it every Christmas. We had time to get a batch of shortbread done too. Today we made a double batch of the fudge. We think we did something wrong, although we are not concerned that anyone but us two will know. Rain is sure it will disappear! I have done double batches several times with our friend, Indonesia, who lived with us for a while, so it wasn't that. It's either that we went a degree short on the temperature or we didn't beat it long enough. It's not an exact science! 

  

Fudge bubbling. Today's batch was perfect.

*****




We had snow, then everything melted. Then more snow.


December 11, wild wind brought down trees all over. This old giant fell and broke into pieces.



The hills at dawn, like a Japanese painting.


We have snow and the wind has blown and calmed, blown and gone again, in the last couple of days. One morning there were small paw tracks, a bobcat or a fox, round about the lawn and one roughed-up spot where he caught a mouse, perhaps. The tracks have since blown away, and he hasn't come back yet. We see the blue jays and ravens, but the little birds seem to go down into the valley when it's cold. Blackie comes by every day or two, and we often see him crossing the meadow below the house. He has a heavy "double" coat and he's quite big, some kind of European mountain dog, but I haven't found out what. I like to see him, having resigned myself to waiting some time before getting a dog of my own. I hope that the right time will come, or the right dog. I will let the universe do its thing. 

Blackie:


            

          "Angel" clouds over the valley.

I stopped counting the covid days, really. It is turning into years. Recently I began to count the days until the solstice and Christmas; that was nice. Be safe and warm.

Mumma Yaga

 Van Morrison: I Wanna Roo You (23rd of December)   https://youtu.be/KmRUDpIlAcw    (not available on Apple Music, WHAT?)



The leaves of the Grey Beech cling to the branches and all winter blow one by one across the snow like little birds.





Comments