210118 anniversary

jan 18


My mother never knew Rain, who was born the year she died. She never saw any of my Christmas gingerbread creations. 

This poem was written twenty-seven years ago. It was thirty years ago that my mother died. I can't believe I have been so long without her. After she died I discovered I was mourning two mothers: the one I had just lost, and the one I had lost twenty years earlier, when she was first diagnosed with brain tumours. The tumours took away so much as the years went by, she had difficulty walking and suffered headaches that curtailed her social life. She spent months in recovery and rehabilitation after each operation: the tumour kept growing back. I mourned the grandmother that my children should have known, instead of the one who needed quiet and couldn't join in their games. I mourned the mother to whom I could have gone when I needed someone to lean on.

*****

anniversary

so much in the past three years 
I have wanted to share with you
the smell of the hyacinth
the purple-blue one you liked better than the others
the baby, who's two

roland's death, and phil's
how i could have been nicer to you
the purse with the ladies painted on it
a poem i wrote
jane austen
pregnancy
the cabinet I found to keep your china in
tea-times
laughing

lighting this candle for you
i can't believe you are a closed book
all your pages written
and ended
stopped in time

i miss you
as if when you were alive
you were a frame
that the picture of my life hung in
and now it's fallen 
and broken into pieces

i hope that somewhere you can hear me
and not be hurting
i wanted 
to share these years with you



Mumma Yaga







Comments