201125 Lockdown Peanut Butter Sushi

my sushi.



   Not much changed for our family when the new lockdown began in Toronto. I did notice that the 401 and the 427 were unusually quiet at six pm., when it should have been busy. But we continued to observe such strict protocols through the summer and fall that Monday seemed no different. We haven't even had take-out since February let alone go out socially. I was surprised that people had returned so much to common public and social venues and events that they feel stifled and frustrated by the new orders. I don't understand the problem with waiting until covid-19 is properly defeated before resuming "regularly-scheduled programming". We are not children who don't understand delayed gratification. We don't have to do a "normal" Christmas, or wedding or birthday party for that matter. Big weddings seem extravagant and unnecessary at the best of times but right now it doesn't make sense. My parents, married during the war, were only allowed to purchase small engagement and wedding rings and my mother borrowed a dress for the wedding. [In non-pandemic times I do like to see important rites celebrated and shared with one's family and "village" in whatever manner suits your pocketbook and your social ideals, although I admire prudent spending in all things.]

There is also the burgeoning economic stress. Euphemism for debt, hunger and fear. The thing is the governments are still giving economic support to big companies and big companies are still paying their top management 20 times as much as they are paying their other employees, while a universal basic income and basic small business support (not unlike farmers get) would give us the time to ride out this pandemic safely and without fear.

Tamar and K still have their jobs, for which we are daily thankful. We have a house, a car, and food to eat, for which we are truly grateful. It is becoming a grace. 

*****

Haven't had sushi since February. Suddenly realized that I could make several (not so Japanese) maki rolls at home. (Extravagant, yes: I appreciate the self-contradiction) I asked Tamar to add to her grocery list sushi rice, cucumber, avocado, tempura shrimp and fake crab. There was no fake crab to be had, so I went with plain shrimp California roll and a Dragon roll with the tempura shrimp. I am a rank amateur and my sushi is not pretty, but it was quite tasty nonetheless.Tamar had to look around for the nori (seaweed) and she even ordered a couple of sushi mats for rolling, which was very kind of her. I had been trying to figure out what would make a good substitute. One thing I learned was that preparing ingredients beforehand, while it is helpful for many recipes, is not appropriate for good flavorful sushi. One must commit to the time it will take to freshly cut the avocado, and to bake tempura shrimp immediately before assembling the maki. There are a thousand sushi recipes and videos on the web. I found it helpful and also inspiring to watch a Japanese sushi chef at work. It reminded me that practice is required for any skill, lots of practice. 

Robin and Indre were interested in the process: I was working at the big table in the front room so they came to watch. Robin was eager to make some, but that was too big an undertaking for me at that moment, so I suggested a modified "sushi" roll with a tortilla and peanut butter that we could prepare at lunch. Tamar, kindly taking on the challenge, helped Robin to make it with peanut butter and crunchy granola on a tortilla, rolled up around a banana (her excellent recipe idea!) She sliced it like a maki roll (sharp knife), the little rounds are easy for small fingers to manage. It was delicious and a huge hit with Robin. The possibilities are endless! 

*****

With our departure date less than two weeks away I must begin preparations in earnest for going to Quebec. I purchased a pulse-oximeter in case of covid infection. Shoppers' had a whole shelf of them. I had thought to order one on-line but there they were. The pulse oximeter measures oxygen saturation in the blood, which can indicate breathing difficulty. In the Quebec woods we will not be close to a hospital. 

Thanks for visiting. Please keep safe. 

Mumma Yaga










Comments