200816 escape hawks clouds curry chicken salad

august 17


Ideas are coming fast as I put my Sea Log in the house and begin work on the Sea Cave. There is about three weeks of preparation: making the base, and sorting the ornamental pieces into a layout plan. This is necessary because there are several focal points on the sphere and larger pieces will go nearer the back, so must be graded in order. I have decided that I don't want to make this one public while it is in progress. Sea Log was a unique exception to my policy of privacy during the making. And I think I will go back to that. 

But there are other jobs requiring my attention. K and I are planning to go away for September when the children return to school. Partly for a get-away (see existential crisis 200724) and partly because we have to be gone when the kids start school. I have to arrange housing (cabin, RV, tent?) for then and pack what we will need and leave the house workable for Tamar and Nick. We have tipped into the second half of August now (When is the ex, mummy?* "I'm sorry my son but you're too late in asking, [Captain Covid-19 just took] it away".*) and the days fly by.

Tamar and Nick are spending more time with the children these days and they are benefiting from the extra bonding. They treat me more like a "Grandma" and less like a second mom, solicitous for my attention and more obedient to boot! I hope they do well while we are away, getting into the swing of school. We will be in touch with Indre and Robin by FaceTime regularly (virtual touch). 

The mistake of the baby hawks: I remembered that the babies seemed to have a special call, from a previous year's family of Cooper's but I thought I had imagined it, seeing the increased activity and hearing only adult calls. Now I am hearing the whistle of the young all day as they practice flying and sitting in trees (they tip up sometimes!). I am sorry if I caused any confusion with my mistake (200807).  I am outside at my mosaic or writing for some hours each day and it is such a joy to watch this family. The young have starting joining in the hunting. They go off among the trees whistling back and forth and get more and more excited, then suddenly it all goes quiet, until dinner time. When you hear them whistling check the sky. It is strange to see the squirrels playing happily about the lawns (youngsters too) paying no mind to the hawks, whose prey is birds - do the squirrels know that? 

If you haven't yet purchased a digital bird book, start saving now. It is invaluable. My paper copy of Peterson's Guide to Eastern NA Birds is heavy, because it is meant to weather hikes and backpacks but I have my phone everywhere I go, so my Peterson ebook is always with me. In addition it includes song recordings (bird songs!). There are other bird ebooks too if you prefer a different one. I have iBird Canada as well, having had 2 or more bird books for additional reference most of my life. (ie photographs and more). 

My mother was the birdwatcher as well as the wildflower buff in our family. After we were grown, she used to go to a Nature Camp each summer on the Bruce Peninsula, (the neighbors joked that it was a Nudist camp) and spent her days with fellow enthusiasts and a professional nature guide searching the skies for birds and under rocks for lizards, and the beach for rare orchids. I am now the age she was when she was attending the Red Bay Camp. If I could time-travel and join her one summer... How she would love the song recordings in the bird app. That was a thing with which the pros were very helpful. They know many bird songs. It is difficult to get the bird and its voice in one's eye and ear at the same time! Rain and Indre seem to be my disciples in birdwatching and flower identification.

Thanks for dropping in. Keep sage (haha, that too)! Keep safe.

Clouds: yesterday twin angel sign, today frowning thunder.



This is one of my favorite summer dinners. (non-vegetarian)

Curry Chicken Salad.

1 kg chicken, boneless breast or thigh. baked, cooled and cut into small pieces,  1/2 inch.

1 1/2 cups thin chopped celery. 

1 cup green onions chopped small. 

several shakes pepper

8 to 10 TBSP Hellman's Mayo or Miracle Whip as preferred. We like Miracle Whip.

1 to 3 tsp Cool Runnings curry powder, Jamaican not Indian, but it is my favorite, not too much cumin. Your favorite curry is perfect.

The dressing brings enough salt. 

Serve cold in pitas, naan, or your favorite bread.

This is my adaptation of a recipe I discovered in the 90's. I don't remember its provenance. Thank you and apologies to its creator. It's been a favorite at our house ever since then.



*the "ex": The Canadian National Exhibition or CNE.

** Paradise, John Prine



Comments