200808 Mosaic


August 8

The mosaic so far:


It is called Sea Log. The first stage (shown here) was completed a few days ago, all (or most) of the china bits fastened on. I am grouting it now, just like grouting tiles in a bathroom except each little area must be done carefully and completed before the grout dries.

The blue and white box has a lid, in safe-keeping until everything is done.
The green and pink fish salt-shaker below the blue box used to say Tobermory, which is where K and I honeymooned! It just says TOB-R now.


These two fish, (above and below) say Canada. I love saving these gems from landfills. All the bases (ie the log) are second-hand from garage sales and church bazaars and all the china too: such beautiful ornaments and dishes no-one wants any more.

Here are two completed mosaics: English Morning and Fish Pillar.


Where it started:
Once upon a time a china cabinet fell over and the contents (antiques) fell to the floor. Surprisingly several pieces survived intact. We had several restored but a complete fruit set smashed except for one plate and one footed server. It really couldn't be replaced but I kept the whole and broken pieces for years. I wanted to mosaic it onto a table, with the whole plate and footed server as part of it. Then a friend mentioned a mosaic project she had in mind and we decided to work together. Somehow we found this book. 


The instructions were clear: It is really a fairly simple process.Her ideas were inspiring and I fell in love with the art. Today, searching, I found about a hundred books on the subject on-line and Etsy has many clever artists in the medium.

It is good that I make these mosaics myself because if I ever saw one in a shop I would HAVE to have it! The Fish Pillar is in the corner when you walk in the front door. I stop to enjoy it almost every day, There is always some unremembered corner to charm. It mostly survives the children and they never seem to crash into it and get scratched. It is mounted on a turntable, actually a "lazy susan", so it can be turned to see all the sides, as is the bowl. It interests me that no one ever leaves a hat or keys on the pillar while even the Buddha shelf, also by the door, ends up with a phone or sunscreen most days.

I am working in front of the house so that neighbours and passers-by can see the process. Many of the adults are decidedly incurious but I get occasional visitors and the neighbour children are all interested and full of insightful comments. 
This is my studio:


When Sea Log is completed, I'll post some more pictures. I already have a new project lined up and I am anxious to get started. I hope to complete it before the weather gets too chilly.


























Comments

Post a Comment