200401 hello

200401
it’s finally quiet here, the children gone to bed, and i have some time to write.
hi. i’m mumma yaga. the children call me gramma.
“grandmother” is an archetype we don like new clothes, just as we already wear the personae of the daughter, the lover, the mother.
when i became a grandmother i almost physically felt the persona settling on me, like a mantle.
and now i am sixty-five and my granddaughter is eight, and she and her brother and my eldest daughter live here with my husband and i. and the children’s father used to live here but then the divorce, so now he comes on weekends, except when there’s a pandemic: then he stays here until it’s over.
i am the homemaker in our household. (another persona.) i am good at many things, and i know a lot of stuff, and my children, adults now, call me for advice, medical, parenting, cooking, and for comfort and support.
i have become, in my 65 years, a wise old woman, an earth mother. so i began to think that someone might find my days and weeks interesting, or find some small wisdom, or a kindred idea, or some humor.
so - welcome. please take what you like of it, and leave what doesn’t fit.

Comments

Post a Comment